Risk Management Advice
All businesses need to think about their risk management and in doing so you can keep your liability premiums at an affordable rate. So what do you need to do?
1) Staff training is essential and must be recorded. Obtain the employees signature every time. This will reduce the possibility of a solicitor suing for negligence if the employee has received instructions but fails to adhere to them.
2) Do not accept the fact that the employee says he/she is experienced in a particular activity. Operate strict supervision to ensure that he or she knows what they are doing.
3) On hired in equipment make sure that instructions are provided by the hirer and adequate supervision is provided for the operative.
4) Make sure all safety equipment which is specified for a particular job is being used correctly. Do not allow anyone to carry on working if they refuse to meet the rules. Remember, you are responsible. Again, record all instructions given to an operative in their personal file.
5) Although courts are now much stricter on claiming and even throw out claims they think are not justified, insurers would rather settle out of court for a figure which would be a quarter of the sum that a court may award even if the negligence is not fully proved.
6) Many accidents occur by the misuse of machines. Training is particularly important but make sure risk assessments are carried out and involve the operative in any Health and Safety assessment.
7) Stress can be another area where claims can arise and you should make available a stress councillor line and advertise it on your notice boards. Your legal fees insurer should be able to provide this facility for you.
If you would like to discuss your risk management requirements further or have any queries please call us on 01707 883377 or email us on firstname.lastname@example.org or check our Insurance Risk Management page here
Trackback from your site.